Brigidine students exemplify young women who are culturally rich, with each student developing their own unique skills and talents by pursuing one of our cultural programs.
Director of Arts
Ms Jane Massingham
Phone: 07 3002 0684
Students are encouraged to become involved in the cultural life of the College through one or more of the following activities.
- The Instrumental Music Program is available to students in any year level. Tuition is offered in woodwind, brass, percussion, strings, piano and guitar. This tuition provides the opportunity for students to become members of the Concert Band, College Orchestra, String Ensemble, Guitar Group and/or other small ensembles. Students perform at a variety of events, functions and ceremonies throughout the year.
- The Vocal and Choral (singing) Programs: Students are encouraged to join one of the College’s choral groups such as College Choir, Junior Choir, Cantare and/or Bridgettes (Show Choir). These groups perform at community events and contribute significantly to the spiritual life of the College through their involvement in various liturgies/masses and public celebrations.
- Public Speaking and Debating are a well-established Brigidine tradition. Students are supported to acquire the skills necessary for success in a number of competitions conducted by the Queensland Debating Union (QDU), Rostrum, and Lions (‘Youth of the Year’).
- Speech Lessons (in the area of communication skills) is offered by the College to assist with improving oral presentation skills (talks, speeches, etc), individual self-confidence and general language skills (for example, conversation and discussion skills, interview skills). Speech tuition is on an individual basis of 30 minute lessons per week.
- The College Dance Troupes: Students are encouraged to be a part of our Dance Program – Dance Now (no audition and open to all ages), Emeralds and Sapphires (auditioned troupes). These groups performs for many major events. Students have the opportunity to work with professional dancers and choreographers from local companies (such as Expressions Dance Company). Dance Troupe is an excellent way for students to develop their public performance skills.
- Drama Club gives students in all year levels an opportunity to participate in creative dramatic activities which may include a final production and to be exposed to different aspects of theatre making.
- Technical Crew: Students may prefer to become involved in College’s ‘Tech Crew’, developing technical skills associated with theatre production, sound, lighting and media. The ‘Tech Crew’ operates sound systems used at College assemblies, functions and events as well as being involved ‘behind the scenes’ in performances, concerts and special presentations such as the College Musical.
- Lunchtime cultural activities include Art, Drama and Music clubs. Students produce unique art works and performances for festivals, visual arts exhibitions and College cultural evenings.
- Other opportunities to engage with the Arts are available from time to time and include inter-school competitions, workshops with professional artists, and visits to ‘live theatre’ events.
Immersion, Outreach and Exchange Programs
Real world appreciation is provided with cultural awareness programs, domestically and abroad, to enhance student experiences. Exchanges are offered with sister schools in Nouméa and Tokyo – highly desirable destinations given all students learn French and Japanese in Years 7 and 8 with the option to study both languages through to Year 12. Other opportunities have included trips to South Africa and Vietnam.
Closer to home, students can meet weekly with Swahili girls from Milpera School to bond and teach unique skills and lessons or go on an annual trip to Arnhem Land as part of our Red Earth Immersion program. The school has several multicultural, islander and indigenous students, with a National Apology Day witnessed every May, enhancing their appreciation of the diverse and inclusive world we live in. More than 10% of our families speak a language other than English at home.