In 1927, five pioneering Sisters – Mothers Brigid Foley, Anthony McGrath, Ignatius Dunphy, Finbarr Treacy and Columba Phelan acquired the 1890’s grand residence of Dr Foxton. A convent was established and a year later the adjacent Holy Family Parish school commenced. In January 1929, Brigidine College opened as a secondary school.
The growth of the College was very slow and arduous. The Sisters were extremely poor and unable to build proper teaching facilities. Classes were held in one room in the Convent and a small number of boarders slept in another. This historic building, which also houses the Chapel, is still the focal point of the College today.
At that time not many students continued their education beyond Scholarship. Boys in particular were actively encouraged to further their education but few girls would advance to ”Junior” and fewer still to “Senior” education. In 1943 the first two candidates for the Senior Certificate were presented for examination. In 1944 the first official College buildings were erected.
Enrolments slowly grew and in 1961 a new building now known as Tullow was completed. This began the growth of Brigidine College that continues well beyond our present day. Since then the following buildings have been added to the College’s educational facilities:
- 1968 Delany Building – named after Daniel Delany, founder of the Brigidine order
- 1974 Library refurbishment
- 1975 Original College Swimming Pool
- 1976 Duvac Building
- 1983 Foley Building
- 1991 Kildare Hall (A Multi-Purpose Centre – MPC)
- 1997 Administration Building
- 2001 Tullow Resource Centre
- 2008 New College Pool
- 2012 The Brigid Centre
- 2014 Middle Years Learning Centre (in Foley)
In 2000, the last three sisters living in the Convent moved to Sydney. Sister Regis O’Sullivan, Sister Luke Henry and Sister Mary Singer were well loved and very much a part of the College community. The Convent building became part of the College from this time. Even though their permanent full time presence has ceased the spirit of the Brigidine Sisters lives on. The Library block was renovated and reborn in 2001 as the Tullow Resource Centre, named after the town in Ireland where the Brigidine Order was founded.
The area around and above the swimming pool was transformed into the beautiful, spacious area for the students known as Soubirous Place. The back of the Convent building was developed into a staff common room and a Learning Enhancement Centre. The College grounds continued to be landscaped to provide shaded and pleasant areas for outside activities.
The early part of the new millennium saw the next stage of building refurbishments.
Duvac became a dedicated Science building and Home Economics moved to occupy the entire ground floor of the Delany building. During this time and with substantial financial support from the P&F, the College developed significant computer and information technologies (ICTs) appropriate for students in the twenty-first century. The Foley Building received a make-over and the undercroft of the MPC was enclosed to provide an area known as the Erin Rooms. This is a multi-purpose space which can be used for large student meetings or as three classrooms. The old Band Room was refurbished to provide a studio allowing Dance to be included into the College curriculum. The side of the Convent building was renovated to provide a range of student services, close to the House Coordinators’ offices. This area was named St Brigid’s. To complete this phase of upgrades, the College pool was redeveloped and the surrounds were enhanced with a stunning water feature, sun shades and fencing.
In June 2012, The Brigid Centre for the Arts was opened and blessed. This building delivers the latest interactive facilities to complement the extensive arts curriculum already available at the College. During 2014, refurbishments included the Tullow Centre and Staff Study and the creation of a vibrant Middle Years Learning Centre in the new look Foley building.
The current Strategic Plan ensures Brigidine College continues to remain responsive to growth and educational change in the 21st century. Our focus is innovation, learning and creativity.
The Brigidine College community is blessed by a rich past, fully engaged in the present and ready to face the future with confidence and hope.